Hosted by Ock Pop Tok’s cofounders, Veomanee Duangdala & Joanna Smith. This is a 1.5 hour presentation illustrating the journey of a Lao textiles from the creation of silk to the weaving process and the meaning of motifs.
With co-directors: Prices start from 2, 080, 000 LAK ($260) per group (up to 10 people)
- Introduction to Ock Pop Tok & our current activities.
- A brief history of silk textiles.
- How to real silk worms and making silk thread.
- Natural dyeing & Dye Sources; audience participation assisting with a demonstration of dyeing silk.
Refreshments Break: Lemongrass tea and for the adventurous Saa Kii Morn (medicinal tea made from silkworm poo), Dtor Morn (fried silk worms)
- Weaving techniques – the three main techniques used in Lao; Supplementary, Tapestry & Ikat. Depending on time participants can try themselves on one of our looms.
- Use of textiles in Laos – showcasing samples of different textiles, discussing their function and the meaning of motifs – what is a Naga?
- The weavers at work – a walk through the Ock Pop Tok weaving area to watch our skilled artisans at work.
- This place for all models